After the successful BoF session on Cloud Computing API that we organized at Open Grid Forum 25 to define the charter for a new Working Group to deliver a standard API for “IaaS” clouds, we are happy to announce that the Open Grid Forum (OGF) has officially launched the Open Cloud Computing Interface Working Group (OCCI-WG).
The OGF Open Cloud Computing Interface (OCCI) working group will deliver an API specification for remote management of cloud computing infrastructure, allowing for the development of interoperable tools for common tasks including deployment, autonomic scaling and monitoring. The scope of the specification will be all high level functionality required for the life-cycle management of virtual machines (or workloads) running on virtualization technologies (or containers) supporting service elasticity.
The new API for interfacing “IaaS” Cloud computing facilities will allow for:
- Consumers to interact with cloud computing infrastructure on an ad-hoc basis (e.g. deploy, start, stop, restart)
- Integrators to offer advanced management services
- Aggregators to offer a single common interface to multiple providers
- Providers to offer a standard interface that is compatible with available tools
- Vendors of grids/clouds to offer standard interfaces for dynamically scalable service delivery in their products
The OCCI working group invites your participation. Subscribe to the mailing list, and call into the teleconference call.
- Web site
- Mailing list for occi-wg (archive)
- Mailing list for capi-bof (archive only)
- SourceForge occi-wg project
OGF OCCI-WG is being coordinated by Thijs Metsch (Sun Microsystems), Ignacio M. Llorente (DSA-research/UCM and OpenNebula), Alexis Richardson (Rabbit Technologies and CohesiveFT), and Sam Johnston (Australian Online Solutions).